Re: RC: bermudagrass & impaction

Coastal bermuda tends to get a bad rep for implaction. What people tend to do
is bring horses to the southland and switch them to coastal - boom an
impaction, hence coastal is a bad hay. According to my vet he could retire
treating horses coming down to FL and getting impacted on bermudagrass. FL
horses have no problems with it. So what's up.

The truth is bermudagrass requires a slightly different gut flora to break down
than other grasses. This gut flora has to be built over time. If you give too
much bermudagrass too soon, the gut flora will not be able to process it and
the horse will impact. If you slowly transition to bermudagrass, then there is
no problem and bermudagrass makes an excellent feed.

--
Vertex Engineering, Inc.
Innovative Solutions