why track horses?

I've been studying track horses past couple years, getting to know endurance
performance bloodlines too.  I've come up with some questions about how you
all perceive Arabian ex- and race- track horses.  *Why* are some endurance
riders interested in owning an ex-racer; is it the exposure to the traffic
and handling?  If bloodlines matter at all to the rider, does the rider know
which ones they want?  Is there some prestige owning/looking for one?  Is
there shame in it?  Is it the previous physical conditioning?  The mental
training?  Is there an assuption that there always must exist a 'race
attitude' or mentality left from being exposed to that atmosphere?  Is there
a stigma that they are really expensive/really cheap?  Is it the size?  Any
other attributes/problems?  Would a race-bred but unraced be preferable
(why/not)?  Would the rider pass up a chance to race an Arabian, and why,
besides the physical risk?  I'm interested in all observations, perceptions,
and gut feelings, whether you've got one or not (yet).  Guess.  BTW glad
'cya Howard' is alive, even though he ain't kicking again yet.  bb