FW: RE: Standardbreds

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurel Hickey [mailto:laurel@agentradio.com]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 7:03 AM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: RE: Standardbreds

I will second the observation that this breed does tend to have a stiffness
and lack of agility, and I speak from personal experience.  My mare has
improved tremendously with adequate turnout on slightly hilly pasture and
sensible dressage gymnastic training, in both her physical abilities and
psychological approach to various trail conditions and obstacles, so it
_can_ be done.

I would not recommend a Standardbred for a beginner rider or one who is
looking for a quick-fixer-upper.  Retraining an ex-racehorse is a years-long
proposition.  They are great horses with excellent work ethics and a real
desire to please, but make no mistake they are not all mellow!  I have known
several who are every bit as hot as the typical Thoroughbred or Arabian,
mine included.

While my mare spent minimal time in training and at the track, her way of
going was strongly influenced by how her feet were trimmed and how she was
taught to balance herself while in harness.  This takes time to "correct"
both in the body and the mind.

As far as endurance competition goes, I have limited experience and have
completed two CTR's in the Northeast.  We are currently training for
ride&ties this season.  Interested parties can check the archives for an
article comparing the muscle fiber types of various breeds; the Standardbred
has a similar make-up to the Arabian.

As with any breed, each horse has to be looked at as an individual.  Just as
some Arabs may _not_ be suited to endurance riding, some Standardbreds may
be.  With sensible (re)training, shoeing, turn-out, and enough time to
generally decompress, the natural athleticism of the Standardbred will shine
and there is no reason they can't do anything any other horse can do
provided they are built for the task.  There are as many body types within
this breed as with Quarter Horses or Thoroughbreds. And yes, mine does have
a pretty head!

Additionally, as an owner/adopter of an ex-racehorse you are doing a real
service to the animal, and to the breed.  There is  a book, "Retraining the
Harness Racehorse", by Mary Anne Donovan-Wright and Robyn Cuffey which is
well worth the read to anyone interested in giving a Standardbred a chance
at another career.

Laurel Hickey (NY)