Re: RC: Re: re; Glucosamine discussion

In a message dated Sun, 11 Feb 2001  9:39:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Carolyn Burgess" <carolyn_burgess@hotmail.com> writes:

<< When talking about these types of supplements, and saying should we be competing these horses if they need these kinds of supplements, how many of us start our day of riding by taking 2 Advil? Now, why don't we apply these same standards to ourselves, and not competebecause we are not physically in the condition to perform? Because these medications are available to make us have fun even though our bodies aren't quite up to it. And the same applies to our animals. If they are up for it, and want to do it, what is wrong with making them more comfortable so they can perform like they want to. And many of us have animals who want to work, but they just need a little help to be able to work more comfortably.  >>

Welll, my computer "ate" a lengthier answer while I fielded a phone call...  But bottom line here--the reason why not is because I can quit any time I want to, and my horse does not have that option.  Where do you want to draw the line?  Glucosamine?  Bute?  Nerving?  Bob Morris's example of coca leaves?  I've known a few teens (and a few not-so-teens) who'd also argue that they "work  more comfortably" after smoking a few joints, too.  Yes, I am being a bit facetious here, and yes, there are documented benefits of glucosamine, etc.  But they are NO substitute for fitness, suitability, and good nutrition.  And a well-suited horse that is well-fed and fit does NOT need them to compete at the level that most of ours do, and to continue doing so for a great many years.

Heidi