From: renegade12@juno.com [mailto:renegade12@juno.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 8:03 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Glucosomine

A few years ago Jeanie Waldron, DVM spoke at one of the seminars at the
AERC Convention.  Her topic was based on the neutraceuticals containing
Chondroitan Sulfates and Glucosomine, etc.  I remember her saying that in
the future it would be a common occurrence to see horses in their 20's
still competing at a high level in endurance, dressage, jumping, etc
because their careers would not be cut short from arthritis related
problems...their usefulness would be prolonged due to the use of Adequan,
Glucosomine, etc.  That assumed they had no career ending injuries or
other health problems.  At the Lexington AERC Convention I remember Mike
Foss, DVM answering a question from the audience on what he does with new
horses vis a vis supplements, etc.  Mike said that as soon as he begins
conditioning a horse for endurance they go on a monthly dose of Adequan
or a similar substance.

A couple of years ago I saw a questionnaire of high mileage riders and
the #1 common  answer was a monthly or daily use of a Glucosomine based
substance...Adequan, Vita Flex, etc.

At the race track one of the most common supplements for race horses is
Adequan or Glucosomine.  Based on all of the above information and the
many research articles on Chondroitan sulfates, Glucosomine, etc...I
believe the best preventative for djd is the regimented use of some
substance that contains Glucosomine or similar products.  It is a legal
substance in AERC and I believe it is a good idea to use it on all
performance horses.  Every horse we have ready for endurance riding gets
a monthly shot of Glucosomine.

Randy Eiland