Standardbreds/backsore

> I board my Morgan in a Standardbred race training barn.  One of> the
most common unsoundnesses among these race horses is a> bad back.

My guess is that it's a symptom of the hock problems.  I had a friend
with a *super* endurance horse. His back got so locked up he could hardly
move. She was just trying to make him comfortable enough to live in the
field.  The vet looked at him, injected his hocks and then had her use a
TENS unit on his back. In no time he was his old self. She took him to
the Liberty 50, couldn't hold him back and ended up 2nd by a few feet.
(didn't race in). That happened to be a good day, and he wasn't cured for
life but so long as she takes care of his hocks his back has had no more
problems. She had to retire him because the word "completion" meant
nothing to him, he insisted on going for the win. But his back soreness
came from trying to guard his sore hocks.

Angie
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.