Re: Re: grain- too much? not enough? -long

----- Original Message -----
From: SunsetOvrC@aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 1:50 AM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net; Dbeverly4@aol.com
Subject: RC: Re: grain- too much? not enough? -long

Yeah, I have read her information on beetpulp, and nutrition.  As I understand it, she says the stomach cannot be overloaded with beetpulp because it empties when full and undigested beetpulp in the intestines will not cause problems.  But I am concerned about the grain that passes with the beetpulp.  It seems to me it could potentially cause problems.

--------

I don't think it will.  The trick is not to mix too much grain with the beet pulp.  Just enough to get the horse's to eat it.  None of my guys will eat much beet pulp (soaked, always soaked) without any grain.  But, because I use a ratio of something like 5 parts beet pulp to one part grain, I don't think there's anything to worry about.  And I feed them this with tons of hay all week-end at an endurance ride, without any fear whatsoever.

Susan knows her stuff.  This way of feeding has gotten my out of control 17 hand Saddlebred thru several 50 mile runs, and as long as he's still eating I know he's good to continue.  Beetpulp rules and it's the way to go.

cya,

Howard