Re: RC: Re: Re: Re: Electrolyting

That's almost exactly what I do.  I also use Lyte Now.....buy them by
the case (Teddy Lancaster sells them that way, ships free) and carry the
single doses with me.  However, it never occurred to me to refill the
small ones. Duh! Hmmm. Truman, I gotta try that. Any magic trick to do
this?

I've had people say to me "I don't use this electrolyte or that one
because it's too expensive".  The cost of your electrolytes is
negligible compared to all the other expenses involved in Endurance.
Cost should not be an issue here. I use Lyte Now because:

1. Sunny doesn't object to the taste.

2. The texture is slightly "sticky and paste like" and I can get it into
the horse better than the dry ones mixed with water or applesauce.
Sunny just spits those out or stands there and let them run out. I was
never sure how much was IN the horse and how much was ON the horse.

3. After much experimentation, they work better (for me) than anything
else I have used.

Every horse is a little different. The secret is to experiment with YOUR
horse as you start him in competition, with the goal of determining what
works for him.  For example, Sunny does not eat or drink well on the
trailer. I take him off about every 3 1/2 hours to stretch and pee.  If
there is grass at the take off, he WILL eat that. (I GPS mark good take
off spots for future reference) Otherwise, forget it....

Since generally my ride schedule is to travel Friday, compete on
Saturday, return on Sunday, he would not eat or drink much on Friday and
be slightly dehydrated and his belly not as full as I liked on arrival.
(His pee would be light green instead of the normal almost clear) In his
first year, he was consistently B's on gut sounds and I had to watch his
hydration carefully. He does not drink well in the first 15 miles or so
and it was easy for him to get into a deficit.

After some experimentation and discussion with Susan, I started feeding
many small meals (every 3 hours or so) and many small electroylyte doses
(about 1/3 of a 26cc single dose) at every feeding starting on Thursday.
I don't get up in the middle of the nite, but I do go through bedtime. I
continue this on the trip every time I take him off. If he doesn't eat
or drink, (always offered) he still gets the 1/3 dose of electrolytes.

He gets one single 26cc dose after the morning meal prior to ride start
and prior to leaving the first vet check, assuming it's 15 miles or
less, and the time to the first check is under 2 hrs) He's usually
drinking by now, and I then electrolyte every hour. (If he's not
drinking by now, I've got a problem and I need to pull, slow down, or
spend more time in the vet check) If he drinks after the first hour or
so BEFORE I get to the first vet check, I will electrolyte immediately
at that time, then every hour thereafter, assuming he continues to drink
normally.

I have noticed several changes:

1. He drinks a LOT more water in the pasture on Thursday.

2. He drinks more water in the paddock at the ride.

3. His gut sounds are now almost ALL A's the entire ride.

4. He is much more hydrated upon arrival, even tho he still does not
drink well while traveling. I have not taken him far enough away to
require multi-day travel...I'm gonna have to fix this when that
happens...suggestions are welcome.

4. Even tho he still doesn't drink well early in the ride, his overall
hydration is much better.

What works for YOUR horse, might be different, especially if your region
is not Southeast, like mine.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic