Re: Stallions in endurance riding (long)

My two cents:

I think it's true that you should listen to the inner voice.  I also think "sh-- happens".
Most importantly, I think that your youthful sense of invincibility can save you, especially with horses.

When I was 16 or so, I lived in Karachi, Pakistan.  In those days, most of the male horses were stallions and the more difficult the horse, the more I wanted to ride him.  We used to ride at a local stable.  My sister was on a 3 yr old colt that reared all the time.  I could hardly wait for her to get off, so I could ride him.  About a week later, a group of us rode our horses through Karachi to the training ground of the President's Body Guard.  The stable was maybe a couple of miles from the Body Guard training ground, through city streets, crowded with camels, donkey carts, buses with people hanging off the doors, trucks, cars, motor rickshaws, well, you get the picture -- a Pakistani version of Los Angeles traffic.

Anyway, I was riding the "could be considered fairly greenbroke" colt that liked to rear.  I rode him on a loose rein, at the rear of the group, and everytime some outlandish vehicle passed I told the colt how lucky he was to be seeing such interesting sights.  No question that I was enormously helped in all this by the fact that the other horses had all "been there, done that" (the colt had not) and, probably, by the fact that the colt was so young, but we rode to and from the training ground with no problems other than some little shies and turns to stare at things.

More than 40 years later, I was riding Fox, a gelding who has broken my bones before, but who had been quietfor a lot of rides since and who had been so quiet under saddle the week before that I thought we had finally arrived at his true personality -- he is very quiet on the ground.  Probably three seconds after I was settled in the saddle, Fox started bucking.  He bucked for some 50 to 75 feet before I came off--but I don't think I would have fallen, if previous falls and broken bones hadn't interfered with my ability to work through the situation.

The only difference to me is that I'm old and, Fox has made it clear, no longer invincible.  I'm getting riding lessons again because now, I think, I'm the one who's dangerous--not the horse.

I don't think horses necessarily key off your fear.  I have been sick with fear sometimes and still handled the situation well.  But I do think that when your fear makes you stupid, then things get ugly.