Re: Re: Stallions

I don't mind if anyone chooses not to ride with me and Malik (their loss
<big grin>) but I am failing to understand the stallion phobia.  Obviously
these instances that have been described were terrible accidents and could
have been prevented.  Who or what is to blame?  Stallion or handler?
Inadequate training?  I ride Malik in an arena with other stallions, with
mares (sometimes mares in estrus) and geldings and do the same on trail.  He
stands side by side with the same outside of the arena as we wait our turn
to enter.  I am ever vigilant as are the people around me (my friends who
pen with me ride 2 stallions and a mare) but unless people know, they are
surprised to find he is a stallion.  Is this a credit to HIS personality,
his training and manners, his owners/handlers?  I refuse to never say
never...I am probably harder on Malik than I would be on any other horse and
I NEVER want anything bad to happen to anyone or him.  We do allow Jenny
(16) to ride him under our supervision and she is helping me train our 3
year old stallion.  When we work cattle or condition on trail, he is
business.  If he is particularly spunky one day or if we are riding with new
people, he gets a workout ahead or behind for awhile until I feel he has
settled down.  I have never had anyone refuse to ride with me because he is
a stallion.  Anyway, please don't judge all stallions by one bad experience.
Stallions are horses, too.  :)
Maggie