Stallions

Folks, I guess I have to respond to a few of the posts on Stallions. A few things struck me as I read the
following:
"One particular day, the teenage boy was riding the stallion and the little girl was in the arena on the pony
mare, who happened to be in standing estrus. "
and..
"We did a nice ride up in the hilly pasture and then went down to the arena area where we were talking to folks.
Both horses were standing quietly,  but I remember the stallion started talking to the mare...."

I ride a stallion and respect all those who choose not to ride with one. Riding a stallion is a huge
responsibility and one that should never be taken lightly. We should never give a teenager a Corvette nor a
stallion to ride as they simply do not have the forethought to think that both the stallion or the corvette can
kill them or someone else. I simply would not be in an arena with a child and any mare in estrus. There is enough
time in the day to ride later or the next day if need be. It is pure arrogance to go ahead and ride despite the
circumstances.

And, while I have gone on trail rides with mares that we have just bred, standing around, clearly not paying
attention nor asking anything of the stallion was a disaster waiting to happen. So often, someone will foolishly
not be paying attention, preferring to gab with friends, and an accident can happen.

On a ride, I prefer to ride alone. But, we can ride with anyone if that person can and will pay as much attention
to their horse as I pay to my stallion. If not, I will respectfully leave the group. That may mean I will have to
stop and get off and wait for those riders to go on ahead. Or, it might mean I have to put the peddle to the metal
and boogie on out of there. Whichever it takes, I am willing to do for the safety of my horse and others. No ride
is worth undoing your training for. Nor is any placing worth compromising anyone's safety.

Dolores Arste
Phone - 518.882.6485
Fax - 518.882.5366
eFax- 208-379-1088