RE: ribbons

I rode my mare at her first away from home and all her buddies with strange horses.  I put a red ribbon in her tail just because I did not know how she would act. But some people would ride right up on her and let their horses stick their noses up her butt and then the rider got offended that the mare kicked out at their horse. This mare is perfectly fine when the horse behind her minds its manners and doesn't stick its nose up her tail.

Anna
Mules and Other Critters
http://pages.ivillage.com/annalar16/index.html
About Barefooted Horses
http://annalar16.tripod.com/aboutbarefootedhorses/

I believe the red ribbon does not signify that a rider cannot control their horse.  I think the point of a red ribbon or a yellow one for a stallion is to let people know they need to be cautious...if a horse only kicks when it is crowded, that is not the horse's fault...I think they can be disciplined and taught that it is inappropriate.  I also think people should respect the space of ALL other horses, stallions or kickers or not.  I see too many peoplelet their horses be pushy or back into my horse in a threatening way.  A red or yellow ribbon is kind of like defensive driving...you gotta watch out for the other guy!!  :)