Barefoot Stats

Karen,

In general I am just reading these posts on barefoot horses, but I do want to respond to your most recent post and its question in the 1st paragraph:

The shoe helps keep a horse sound and "fit to continue" in rocky areas by keeping the foot in one piece.  When a horse loses a shoe on most New Mexico endurance rides, and does not get an easyboot put on immediately, the foot will chip out in dramatic fashion from the hard, rocky terrain, even wear down as if it had been rasped, and the results are a foot that is extremely sore because the outside wall of the hoof chips so high that the horse is sore just putting weight on the foot (sometimes the chipping is so bad that the farrier may have to do reconstructive work on the hoof just to get a shoe back on).  In addition to shoes, most NM & other SW riders use pads or easyboots over the shoes to keep their horses from going lame.  This is very basic knowledge in NM and I don't think you will find any endurance riders with competing horses that are barefoot in NM..although I have seen some endurance horses that are barefoot on the rear feet, but they are riding our desert rides and not the mountain and/or rocky rides that make up most of our competitions.  Of the 17+ rides I manage a year, the only rides a horse "might" complete without shoes are those I put on in the desert, and even then the horse won't be going very fast if they are to finish sound and fit to continue....and most likely, the sand will actually "file" the hoof down so the horse is lame after 50 miles.

There is a reason the Apaches rode their horses all day and then ate them that night...the poor horses couldn't go another mile because they were lame...this fact comes from the study of numerous historical accounts of the Cavalry and Apache wars in the Southwest.

Randy Eiland