Re: Answer to my question (to Bobbie)

> Yes, and after travelling 100 miles with a metal edge that inhibits the
> hoof from performing it's function, the muscles tendons and bones
> definitely have more stress and would be tired.

Just like anything else, the horse "conditions" to wearing shoes, just as
you do.  In the winter, when I first have to start wearing heavier boots
that are a couple of sizes bigger and full of extra socks, my muscles and
tendons and bones also feel stressed and tired.  But after a week or two of
this, I don't feel that at all, and in fact, feel sort of funny any time I
go anywhere WITHOUT those big clodhoppers on.  Most folks have enough sense
not to even RE-shoe right before a ride, if they can avoid it at all, but
rather give the horse at least a week after a new shoeing before any sort of
competition.  And they certainly aren't asking horses to go 100 miles the
very first time they are shod!  What you are stating here is good reason not
to shoe a distance horse with weighted shoes such as one sees in some show
ring settings, or with extreme correction, or with "grabs" that will alter
how the foot interacts with the ground.  A competent farrier will shoe a
horse so that the flight pattern of his hoof is affected as little as
possible, so that the horse can acclimate easily to the minor change that
shoeing provides.  Quite frankly, this is one reason why I prefer shoes to
Easy Boots in most cases--the horse DOES wear them 24/7 during the times he
is shod, and hence, they are something to which the horse has adapted.  As
such, they do not add another element of stress at ride time.

Heidi