Re: Re: Darolyn and Barefootin' (extremely long)

them after their already dead, and do not slaughter.  For this reason, I
don't think a rendering plant is a good place to go looking at horse feet.

I agree.

anecdotal reports from decades to centuries old.  IMO there is no way to
classify this as research, which is why I used quotes around the term.  IMO
the author of the article appeared to be taking liberties with the term
research.

I agree that the hypotheses is a pretty weak one if they can't come up with data less than 200 years old.  As a researcher, I'd just prefer not being painted with the same brush. :-)

was just trying
to point out that if it is not a carefully controlled study with a strong
methodology and with peer review as a part of the process, it isn't
necessarily science, no matter how many initials someone has after their
name.  Sorry if I offended you, you are the goddess of equine science and
nutrition and I humbly bow before you.  jeer

God lord, you didn't offend me.  I agree that if it isn't a controlled study in *some* fashion, it doesn't hold much water.  Along the same lines, there was a comment from a veterinarian from back east that I read had made the comment that the lack of contradicting data further supports Dr. Strasser's views (and BTW, Dr. S is a veterinarian, but that doesn't make her trained in scientific methodology---that's an entirely different degree).  It is NOT true that lack of data supports a theory---that's like saying that because I have no data contradicting my statement that I am Madonna's long lost sister, my statement must be true.  It just don't work that way.

Don't worry, jeri, I think we're both on the same wavelength, just cringed a wee bit at a suggestion that all research is skewed.  Most of us are pretty straight.:-)

Susan G