Re: stallions/rope halters

We ride stallions in Egypt all the time and most of the horses in our rides
are usually stallions. Gender has almost nothing to do with behaviour as far
as I can see. I gelded one of my boys at almost 4 years mainly because I
wanted to be able to turn him out with my mares without getting unwanted
offspring. You could breed this boy, ride him anywhere with mares in heat
and he was a perfect gentleman both before and after gelding. Some of the
nastiest horses I've ever  known were mistreated mares...very unforgiving.
There's a strange mystique about stallions....do we all feel the same way
about ungelded men????? Maybe that's because most men (I do say MOST) are
taught how to behave early in life....and I have met plenty of horses who
were smarter than some of the people I know.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
maryanne@ratbusters.net
www.ratbusters.net

Thankyou Heidi,
I have competed with 2 stallions and will be out on the trial next year with
my young one.  The second one, the father of my next trail horse was so very
quiet, in fact at one ride I forgot his yellow ribbon and on the last check
the Vet said, Oh he is a stallion!  What a good boy and you know noone else
knew either as not a soul, even the mares did not even give anyone any
problems.  And the experiences that I have had, have not been from my
stallions but with other riders bringing there horses way to close and I can
thank my lucky stars that I had done my homework on my horse and he was a
gentleman.  Each person should give each horse its space whether it is a
mare, gelding or a stallion!
Just some insights to think about as we should all do our homework at home
before we bring our horses or ourselves to present them away from home.
Carolyn Loedeman
Ohio