Re: RC: Re: Stallions in endurance riding

So I'm sitting here wondering why it is that stallions
> must be very well behaved, trained and under control
> around all other horses, but mares do not?  Please
> elaborate for the rest of us.
>> Kathy Myers
I missed the original post while I was having computer problems, but yeah,
that is my reaction to this, too.  I'd say that the mare in question
(providing the stallion IS well-mannered, quiet, and is minding his own
business) has not been sufficiently socialized

In addition to that, methinks that the riders/owners are not properly socialized, either, because at times I have seen these folks scream their lungs  out at a stallion or his owner, whilst their own mount - mare or gelding, is allowed to nip at the butts of other horses, body slam into other horses AND PEOPLE, bite the P & R people, and so forth. It occurs to me that far too often, people don't see themselves in this discussion, and that is the danger. They THINK they are bright, savvy and competent when indeed the opposite is most often true - the fellow who thought it funny and entertaining to teach - or allow, whatever - his stallion to rear in hand and allowed it to go on in the line for the preride vet check for a half an hour before enough people complained and the vets told him to go away and mellow out his horse. Or how about the gal who had HER horse, her HUSBAND'S horse, her two KIDS horses, and two DOGS in hand in line for a preride vet check - all milling about, with two of the 4 horses pinning and nipping and lifting rear legs, pretty much wrapping this knucklehead up in knots herself.

Gender problem? Naw - I think it is a people issue. So goes the saying, "if you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough".

San(who only vets ONE horse at a time)