From: Susan Garlinghouse [mailto:suendavid@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 5:51 AM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Re: Of a handful of dates and Arabians

>Does it make sense or is it a romantic notion?  How much nutrition is in a
handful of dates?   Would it be enough to sustain a hardworking horse?

A handful of dates has about the same energy (calories) as about a pound of
hay.  A cup of water is about what a hard working horse would sweat out in a
few minutes at maximal sweat rates.  Do the math.  Sure, you can hand that
to a horse and make him carry you across the desert, I hear a number of
people tried that at Catoosa.  The real question is how many of the horses
actually survived afterwards?

Highly, *highly* romanticized notion.  At least if you're imagining the
horses did that for very long, or survived without major damage.

Susan G