Any English riders out there?

Hi,
  Since I started riding many, many years ago, I had always ridden western. Everyone I knew rode western. I got started into endurance and soon realized how uncomfortable and confining a western saddle can be. So I got a couple of aussie saddles, but got the stock type. I could not give up the horn, until I got jabbed in the gut and caught up in it too many times. Then I tried an Big Horn endurance saddle, loved it, but found it too wide for some of the finer arabs I was starting to ride. So I broke down and finally bought an english saddle and a snaffle bit. I'm finding out I really like the english way of riding. I like the closer contact to the horse. And riding collected seems to work much better for endurance riding. I feel more like a team instead of a passenger on my horse as we negotiate the rough terrain.

The problem with english is my total lack of knowledge. The English saddle that I have is a all purpose saddle, not a name brand, not a very expensive saddle, but seems to fit my horse pretty good.  I am looking at an EquiFleece saddle pad by Roma in the Millers catalog.  The problem with my english pad is that is will not stay underneath my saddle. This pad has pockets that the saddle slides into so it will not slip around. I though that was a neat idea, But the pad is fleece. What is the difference between fleece and wool? They also have one with a fleece top and a cotton lining. Would these pads work in endurance riding? Also what do you do with the buckle on the stirrups to keep in from bothering you or the horse? What are the best snaffles for a light mouthed responsive horse who needs  more control when he is frightened or excited. What size works best for Arabs? Do they normally have smaller mouths? I don't want to be bumping the roof of the mouth all the time. How effective is the full cheek snaffle? Is it a must for the kind of riding we do, in order to keep the bit in the mouth? I know that this is probably some very basic questions, but I really do not know anything.  Also what kind of cinch should I be looking at. The cinch that came with the saddle seems to stretch out when I ride. It is a rope cotton cinch.

Best Regards,
Lynette Helgeson
North Dakota
helgeson@ndak.net