Re: RC: arena conditioning

I don't believe the analogy to a coat hanger works.  Consider weight
training:  As I understand it, exercises are repeated daily in order to
builld strength in the appropriate muscle groups with periodic days off to
allow for rest and recover.  Varying the routine also helps the muscle
groups.  I don't believe an athelete's bicep snaps from doing daily dumb
bell lifting.

The question at hand is whether or not a horse can be conditioned by doing
arena work.  The question is not whether the horse will be in the top ten on
a 100 mile race, or be in condition to climb 3,000 ft in an hour.  If you
train on trails in low elevation flat country your horse is not conditioned
for the Rocky Mountains.  If you train in cold, wet mountainous country,
your horse is not conditioned for the desert.

Given the tools and situation at hand, how can one make them work?  Using an
arena is not a replacement for trail work.  A rider uses the information
about the conditioning of the horse to make the decision on what kind of
ride in which to compete.  I'd much rather condition using an arena and get
some competition in, than not have the option of competing at all.

Janetb