Re: Re: promoting hoof growth and hardening hooves

False sole:  Instead of the sole shedding a little bit here and there
naturally, on one of our horses the sole builds and builds until it
spontaneously sloughs off.  It will just start peeling, and when popped off
with the hoof pick there's a shiny new sole underneath.  The false sole is
not more than 3/8" thick, but it make his hooves look like he needs trimmed
once it peels off.  Again, I think Sandy's initial post on wear being equal
to growth being the most likely cause for Cy...  But a false sole can
contribute to the sole looking flat and shallow on a horse that doesn't
usually sport a shallow sole.

Michelle
(Colorado)