Re: RC: Conditioning Tips/Schedules for The Full Time Worker

Hi Lif and Irene,
I am not sure that 40 minutes equals 2 hrs of trail work, but I have
found that 40-60 minutes of ring work can give a good workout.
Figure 5-10 minutes is bright walking, yielding, sidepassing etc, with
most of the remainder being spent at a good trot.  In SAND.  Being
asked to stretch the back and move into the bit, rounding.  More
yeilding, shoulder-in, shoulder-out, haunch-in, haunch-out, circles,
figure 8s, cavalettis, transition up and down, repeatedly.  The horse,
and I, remain interested and challenged.   I'd bet that we cover a good
5-8 miles, with little recovery, in soft footing.  I also work full time, 100
miles from where I live.  Commute 2-3 hours EACH way.  Having a
ring with lights is a lifesaver through the winter, good for the horses
basic training and attitude as well as conditioning. On the weekends
we may ride in the ring for 30 -60 minutes, and then go trudging
around in the snow for a similar period of time.  Guess we have to be
creative!
Beth Glace