Re: RC: Am I hurting my horse?

My mare is 14.2 also, and I'm about 160-180 (depending on the time of year).  I've talked to my vet about this extensively, and although I don't have a formula, she says I'm not close to being too heavy for her.  Just start her slow, and condition her to carry the weight.  It probably depends on the build of your horse also.  My mare is pretty stocky for such a small girl, there is plenty of horse under my leg, although I don't think her cannon circumference is very large (I keep meaning to measure it).