Re: RC: A feed question

At 09:52 AM 12/07/2001 -0500, you wrote:
 Anyway the new feed has a protein level of 10%.  How will this protein change affect my mare?  We completed 355 miles this year, mostly 2 day 50 mile CTR's, but we did do 2 slow 50 mile endurance rides as well.  She kept her weight up and bounced back from all of the rides well.

***Hi Karen:  You aren't mentioning what else you are feeding?  You have to look at the overall picture.  I'm not a nutritionist, but I know someone who is <g>, and I pretty much follow her advice and have had pretty good luck.  I try to keep my horses protein levels down.  I feed Complete Advantage at rides (not sure what it's protein level is, but it is 40% beet pulp), and at home they get simple grass hay that is 7-8% protein.  Sometimes they'll get straight beet pulp added too (which is not high in protein, about 10% I think), but other than at a ride or immediately following they are on their regular rations of hay.  I'd say that if your horse is looking and feeling good don't worry about it.

Check out Susan G's website:  http://shady-acres.com/susan/beetpulp.shtml  btw, following Susan's advice, my two horses completed 2,550 miles in six months this ride season and both have excellent weight and are happy little (albeit a bit muddy) furballs right now. :^)

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV