License for Trailers

Roger Rittenhouse <roger@vmaxept.com> said:

>Seems the motorhome lobby gets us exempted from all those rules. Look
>at the aged drives with BIG BIG BLuebirds.  LONG and over 26000 and
>pulling the Caddie.  Air-brakes and all .. no rules no scales and a
>car license will get you  in one.

Not only that, but if you buy a motorhome with borrowed money, you
get to deduct the interest on your income tax just as though it
were a house!  What a lobby!

Roger, the Sundowner dealer in Loudon, Tennessee, was telling
me a story about how cheap it is to buy trailers in Tennessee.
I wanted to cross-check with you to see whether what he was
telling me was true--not to mention legal.  (Although TN has no
income tax, all the county sales taxes are *huge* (6-8%!) and
on purchases that large really make a difference)

He said:

1.  Because my brother-in-law is a Tennessee resident and has a
real farm to boot, I could give his address as my address and
register the trailer as a TN farm vehicle.  As such, the trailer would
be entirely exempt from sales tax.

2.  I only have to pay $80 or so to get a lifetime TN license plate
for the trailer (as opposed to Massachusetts, where I have to
pay $113 every year to relicense my trailer).

The trailer would never be in my brother-in-law's or his farm's
name, it would be in mine.

Too good to be true?

Linda B. Merims
lbm@naisp.net