Re: A Feed Question

Lara anders281@yahoo.com
Karen

I also typically feed a 13-14% concentrate feed along with forages.It has
been proven that horses under strenuous exercise can benefit from a
slightly higher protein level (13-15%). The average protein requirement
for pasture horses or horse under light exercise is 10%.Horses that are
not being ridden extensively and are on a high protein ration are just
wasting money, because a lot of it is excreted in its urine. It is hard to
say, whether your horse will experience any detrimental effects by having
its protein requirements dropped if you are only doing slow CTR's. Every
horse is different! However,if you do see a difference in performance or
you are concerned, one option is to supplement with beet pulp. It is an
excellent source of protein, and its only drawback is that you may have to
add water to the beet pulp. If I were in your shoes, this is what I would
do. The other nice thing is that beet pulp is relatively high in fiber,
which will help our horses stay warm through these cold winter months. Ask
you local feed distributor if they carry it.

Lara Worden