Re: RC: Slide In Campers??

Hello Linda,
    These rigs tandem are legal in most states, but some cops will
    still give a ticket.

    I have thought about a horse van with living qts in the front. I
    was going to make my big truck that way but due the business - I
    chose to make it all LQ..
    OF course now I want to sell it.

    I thought about the horse van with the camper trailer. May still
    look into that.

    I have been looking at the F250/350 4x4 setup and LQ rig  or doing
    my own LQ trailer.. BIG BUCKS  for either

    Then there is the insurance and tag thing.
    In TN the state looks at  one ton trucks as  'semi commercial'
    thus you need a 'joint use ' tag  costly depends on the defined
    weight.
    Also my insurance company informed me that ONE TON and up are
    insured under commercial rates, and they no longer will do that.
    Someone posted that point before.
    Only a few companies insure that large of a truck. Progressive is
    about the best.
    I called 3 agents here - all with the SAME response, If I buy a
    ONE tome F350  I must get coverage else where. COST about $1200
    per year for a new F350.
    F250 fall under 'normal'   small truck tags and insurance - at
    least for now.

    Then the insurance of the high dollar LQ trailer - about $500/yr or
    more depending on cost and year.

    SOOO- now Carol wants to look at the class C motorhomes  built on
    the FORD F450 HD chassis.
    You get the MH tag for about $60 per year.
    You get MH insurance for about $500  per year..
    You get no hassle from the DOT.

    So now we are motorhome shopping for a rig she can drive AND still
    pull our trailer.
    Looks like the max length is about 27 ft to keep the rig balanced.
    I saw a good number of them at the rides this year. Only problem
    is they ALL   are based on the V10 GAS HOG  about 5 to 7 mpg  -
    but all the drivers claimed get power and no problems.
    I found NO class C MH mfgr that offers a diesel.

    The HORSE VAN say a 3 horse WITH LQ IS a motorhome ... I MAY look
    into that.
    They make many in New England.

    However all plans on hold till I get a buyer for the 'big truck
    MH'

    RR

--
 Roger                            mailto:roger@vmaxept.com