Slide In Campers??

Beth Glover said:

>...About the camper thing.  We have a Lance, and it works out fine for us, but we have to put it on the crappy truck and >hope not to break down.  Now, I am thinking, what if I got a horse trailer with a living quarters...that would be good >except in the summer if the family goes on a trip to ...say...Yosemite, or Yellowstone or something.  Then what do we >do for camping, minus the horses? Does anyone out there haul their horse-trailer on camping trips if there are no >horses envolved? I suppose you could, its a lot to haul though.  For next summer we are thinking of a road trip up the >Pacific coast, just for camping, and taking the Explorer (which I also hate, that stinking lousy thing...) and towing a >little trailer. I wish I could get my hands on a "teardrop".   It's all still in the air though...

I saw the darndest truck/trailer/camper configuration on I40 just
outside Knoxville.  I have no idea whether it is legal or not, or
whether it is only legal in Tennessee.  But if it *is* legal, it
opens up whole new vistas of possibilities.

It was:
                               _______________________    _____________
                        |----|___                                         |    /                             \
___TRUCK__|__     |GOOSENECKTRAILER |    | LIVINGTRAILER|
                             |     |___________________|__|______________|
O                   O                                     OO                              OO

The truck had a gooseneck horse trailer hitched to it, and the gooseneck
horse trailer had a small (15' or so) travel trailer bumper-hitched to the back
of IT!  It wasn't a big pro-rig truck, either, more like a 350 Super Duty.

Another viable, but rarely-seen configuration is:

  HORSEVAN__LIVINGTRAILER

I am told they work well (at least at horse shows), but that it is quite
difficult to get hitched up and to maneuver the travel trailer.  The main
advantage of this is comparatively low cost.  You can get a decent
old horse van for around $5000 (it helps if you are mechanically
adept :-) and used travel trailers are a dime a dozen in the $5000
price range.

Life is much simpler for the rich.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@naisp.net