Re: RC: Reactor panel questions for users and the manufacturer

Replying to Deanna's questions from the manufacturer's perspective (and users, or anyone else with opinions, please jump in)

So here are my issues: I want a saddle that feels as good to me as my OF
does but that won't bridge. (The reason the OF is bridging is because I have
some remedial work to do with my mare to get her to carry herself better.
Once I have sufficiently developed my mare's topline, I believe that the
bridging issues will disappear.)

Two issues here:  Feel is very individual.  We believe that a horse, rider and saddle together form an entity - think of a triangle where each side is critical, and changing one element (either horse, saddle or rider...or one side of the triangle) will cause the entire dynamic of the system or shape to change.  So...we think you should ride in an RP if you're curious about 'em.  Best way to answer the "feel" question.  A two-week test drive is free.

In terms of Ortho-Flex and fit, I don't think I'm out of line in saying that there is a "go/no go" aspect to an Ortho-Flex.  Because there is limited adjustability, the O-F system either works really well for a horse (and there are many many tributes to Ortho-Flex from riders with thousands of happy miles behind them) or else the horse will feel pain at the sites where the panels bolt to the saddle - either in the front, the rear, or both.  I have spoken to many, possibly hundreds of riders, saddle fitters and vets, and they all concur on this point.  If your saddle is bridging now, it is unlikely that it will stop unless you adjust the saddle, and a complete adjustment may not be possible.  You might want to contact Ortho-Flex about this if you haven't already.

Will any of the Reactor Panel models fit the bill? Or are my hips going to
ache again from lack of a narrow twist?

Most people of all body types find RP saddles to be extremely comfortable.  Every now and then someone thinks they are too wide.  And sometimes, someone simply doesn't like the way they feel.  Feedback from our customers consistently rates our saddle 9 or 10 in terms of comfort, so looking at the entire realm of saddles, I think RP is probably in the 90th percentile relative to rider comfort.

Any opinions on the Wintec CAIR system? I wrote to the company asking about
the CAIR system for their endurance model and they assured me it would be
available in the U.S. before the end of the year. I know, as inexpensive as
that saddle is, it's kind of a no-lose "buy it and try it" proposition, but
I thought I'd solicit some opinions.

I haven't personally used CAIR or any other air system in my saddles -- it is (so far) impossible to inflate an RP panel <g>.  And I don't like to comment on innovations I haven't personally assessed.  However, if you go to www.ultimatedressage.com, then to the bulletin board and search the forum called "Tack Trunk", you will find Flair and CAIR user's opinions.

Good luck with the continued search for info.

Carmi

Carmi Weininger
The ReactorPanel Saddle Co.
1-888-771-4402