Rig bucking

Hi all,
    I had a similar experience several years ago, I owned a trailer, but
had to borrow a truck, our vehicle wasn't on the road at the time.
Anyway, in this instance the truck surged forward and then it felt like
someone was slamming on the brakes, again only for a second. I had to
hold on to the steering wheel for all I was worth, 'cause I was being
rocked back and forth every couple of seconds.
     I aborted my trip, returned the truck and spoke to the owner, all
we could come up with was that the gear ratio on the transmission  was
not approptiate for what I was trying to do. The surging was caused by
the transmission trying to find a gear where it could work easily.
     Sorry, this is not very technical, The truck worked fine
afterwards, changing gears correctly, with no repeat of the surging. I
never used it again to tow, I don't know if it would have re-occured or
not
Nancy in Edmonton