slide in campers

Jonni <jonnij@ntws.net>
We have a 9.5' Shadow Cruiser camper, and pull a 4 horse steel trailer.
Have a 1 ton truck. It is a heavy load, and a 3/4 ton is just not rated
for it. Love the set up, have had campers for years, and have NO urge for
a LQ trailer.

A smaller 8' camper and only 2 horses might work well for a 3/4 ton truck,
but I would really look at the trucks load rating, and start calculating
weights of everything.

I have the camper off the truck unless we are heading camping. I can load
it alone, on to the truck in about 30 min. which includes cranking up the
jacks and raising it, and backing it under and getting it lined up then
lowering on to truck. Just like anything, you do it enough, and it gets
easier.

Ours is fully self contained, heater with thermostat, shower, stove/oven,
refrigerator etc. Also a microwave if we are someplace we can plug in. A
generator is on the list of things we might want someday, but have never
needed yet.

So many rides you can send crew bags etc. And there are lots of riders out
there going crewless as it is. BUT, it is not that big of a deal to get
crew stuff in camper. A zip up duffle, or an old soft side suit case make
great hay bags. Open up and the horse can eat right out of it. Water can
be carried in the 5 gallon Aquatainers available at Wal-Mart. A bonus to a
camper at a vet check is you can use your own toilet as to the bush
everyone else uses. You can have warm food fixed with the stove on cold
rides. You have extra clothes, jackets etc. right there. No need to decide
"what to send" with the crew. And if you have a longer vet check, and good
crew for horse, you can go lay down for a few!<grin>

We used the above set up on the XP2001, and had no problems getting in or
out of any of the remote campsites or vet checks. I have never had trouble
getting where we needed to go, turning around etc. One thing that really
helps is EXCELLENT mirrors to see all around the sides. That applies to
any towing also.

We love our camper, and would not change a thing. I have noticed though,
that the types of rigs used are regional also. More campers out in the
West...California etc. that we see here in Texas.

Also, we like to go fishing, and take the boat, so a LQ trailer is not
practical.

Jonni in No. Texas