Re: RC: Potomac horse fever/vet questions

--- Cheryl Shelton <toltallyice@onewest.net> wrote:
> Heidi,
>
> It's my understanding that current theory is that
> PHF is spread by a fresh
> water snail.

We live in the mid-atlantic where we really do worry
about PHF.  This is what our vets have told us as
well.  Our horses are not restricted from drinking
from fresh puddles or moving streams.  We avoid
stagnant-looking ponds, though.  We scrub our water
buckets in the stalls daily and the stock tanks
semi-weekly.

> Any ideas? How big of a threat is this?? Is it
> mostly run down or health
> challenged horses that are more susceptible, such as
> young or old? Is the
> vaccine know to have a good effective rate?

We vaccinate all our horses for PHF.  We were told
that absolute protection is low (around 60-70%, but if
they do get the disease, it isn't as severe & they
have a MUCH better chance of survival.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
West Virginia