Re: hoof boots

Vicky,

You are soooo right... there's always a "know-it-all" in every group,
and usually when they do ride "all the time" at home, it's usually no
more than a few laps around an arena or field each day - if that.  I
would hope that they wouldn't be more practical and experienced
endurance people - then I would be very surprised at them for having
such an attitude!

Just goes to show that if you don't condition consistently (I'm not
talking a few weeks before the ride, either) on the type of terrain
your ride has, then you have to have hoof boots of some type with
you.  And you're also right on about the hoof growth... I have found
that if your horse is properly conditioned for a certain type of
terrain and a specific amount of miles (let's say 50 miles a  week
over decomposed granite, every week for six months - just a scenario
here, folks!), then the hoof slowly begins to adapt itself to
adjusting for the rate of wear it is consistently experiencing.  But,
they can't expect their horse's feet to adapt when their conditioning
schedule is anything but consistent.  Showing up to a ride like that
without having all the conditioning ducks in a row - and without hoof
boots - means either they're very under-educated about how a hoof
works, or they're so new to distance riding that they haven't had
much of an opportunity to soak all this information in.  It's a good
thing you're there to "help"!  I just wish my vacations were equally
productive!  :-)

In addition to Swiss Boots (which I've heard some great things
about), there are also Old Macs and HorSneakers (sp?!) as well.  The
latter is based upon actual imprints of your horse's hooves, but they
sure are expensive.  Check them out and let us know what you think.

Tracey Ritter
Portland, OR

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:02:08 -0800 (PST),
ridecamp-d-request@endurance.net wrote:
>Subject: RC:  Barefoot issues-kind of long
>Vicky Smith twh@voyager.net
> I love Ridecamp for it's input on everything from saddle fit to
>hoof care. As a professional farrier of nearly 20 years (gosh I'm
how old?), I've seen a lot of folks unwittingly abuse their horses
feet. I ride with the Michigan Trail Riders Associaton on their
organized Shore-to-Shore (236 miles)at least twice per year. I lot of
people arrive with no hoof protection for their horses. They usually
say something like "I NEVER use shoes at home and I ride ALL of the
time." Well, after riding two or three days on 20-30 miles of gravel
roads, rocky trail and sand each day makes for some pretty sore
ponies. A horse can only grow x amount of hoof in a given time period
and if he wears if down faster than it grows;a lame horse insues.
Luckily I'm not the only farrier on these rides because there is a
lot of shoeing going on in camp. I'll call it a "working vacation"
;-)
> I tried the barefoot thing with my critters this year and have
>developed a love/hate relationship with EasyBoots. Love 'em when
they stay one; hate 'em when I loose one. Tried the Comp Shoe and
Equithane Super Fast. Both were no goes for long multiple day rides.
So here is how I manage my group- barefoot whenever possible,
Easyboots on horses that can leave them on during rides involving
rocks or gravel, and shoes/pads when nothing else is practical. I may
try Swiss Horse Boots as they were recommended by

--
Tracey Ritter, tracey_ritter@yahoo.com on 11/29/2001