Re: Barefoot horses and naked riders

Deanna,

>Tracey, I must say that your posts to RC on this subject are a
>refreshing blast of fresh analytical and critcal thought, something
that is sorely missing from most of the barefoot advocate
contributions which typically go something like "my horse has never
been shod and did that 25 mile LD early in the summer just fine."
>My only exposure to endurance barefoot advocates is on RC and there
>does seem to be a presence of those whose first choice is never to
>provide hoof protection no matter. When there is admission of
providing hoof protection, it's almost apologetic, as if the barefoot
advocate is not waving the flag high enough.

Thanks, and I do understand where you're coming from, as I've run
across the occasional post like that as well.  I think that folks
like that put a little more thought into when they write about their
own barefoot experiences because they're being "conditioned" to
prepare thoroughly for some of the flames they get from certain RC
members.

>> Additionally, if you had spent any time even
>> checking out the barefoot endurance site on Yahoogroups, you would
>> have seen the links for the hoof boots, and perhaps felt compelled
>> do an archive search on our many discussions on this topic.  If
you
>> haven't, you might consider doing so, as it might help you get a
>> better understanding of what our goals and objectives are.
>
>Can you condense it here and enlighten me?

I'll do my best.  We have hoof boot links for members to browse at
their convenience.  We talk about hoof boots on our list, the
different kinds there are available to choose from, as well as the
pros and cons that go with each.  We discuss when we've had to use
them, under which circumstances or trails, etc.  In other words, it's
not a foreign topic that is avoided at all costs, rather one that is
discussed freely at any given time.

>> And clinical proof about what, exactly?  Please be a little more
>> specific about this so that I can better provide the answers to
the
>> questions you have.
>
>Quantitaive information. Perhaps a before and after exam showing a
>comparison of factors like heat, pain and inflammation. I'm not a
>clinician, so I don't know what tools or tests are available, but I
want something more than observation. Blood work to measure levels of
substances that are produced when the animal is in pain or has an
injury. I read recently that there is an effort underway to create a
fecal exam to measure the amount of an enzyme or some such that is
created when a horse is in pain.

There you go!  Now *that* is something I can work with.  I haven't
run across any tests that are readily available to do at a ride, and
perhaps that is merely indicative of my lack of experience in this
area.  Yes, it *is* possible to do thermographic scans that would
show the circulation and overall heat distribution in a horse's legs
and hooves.  There are a couple of pictures of that type of scan that
I've seen, demonstrating the circulation in the legs of a horse that
had three hooves unshod and one shod.  Very interesting picture.
Barring having fancy equipment at a ride, Vets rely on regular, ol'
palpitations to indicate pain, trot-outs, etc.  If anyone out there
is familiar with other tests that are do-able at a ride, please let
us know what they are, as I - for one - would be very interested in
finding out more about this technology.  The fecal exam you speak of
sounds very interesting as well... do you have any links or names of
researchers (or even the vet school doing them) that you could share
with us?

>> It makes sense that if you go to a ride and find that
>> the terrain is not quite what you had expected, then low and
>>behold - there are your trusty hoof boots you can put on - just for
>>situations like that.
>
>And it makes sense to have trained the horse to accept such hoof
>protection
>and for the handler to be able to apply the hoof protection
>correctly and
>quickly since ride conditions can change with the weather.

My mistake... I took it for granted that those who use hoof boots
would be well-versed in using, applying and training with them before
springing it on their horse for the first time at a ride!  Maybe not,
and we all can't speak for what everyone else says or does at a ride,
right?  I'm talking about experienced or more sensible riders, I
guess.

>> Remember, we put as much time and training and
>> conditioning into our horses as other endurance riders, and we're
>>not so unrealistic as to knowingly put our horses into needless
danger.

>There's a bank of knowledge out there about gait abberations (as
>well as pain and inflamation) caused by hoof and leg pain attributed
to poor footing and hoof wear. So yeah, by choosing not to provide
appropriate hoof protection, the rider is most certainly knowingly
putting their horse into needless danger.

Well, that's where I have to disagree with you here.  Yes, there are
gait abberations, etc., when associated with a bad trim, bad shoeing
job, trying out a new set of shoes or hoof boots, etc.  But my
Heavens, that doesn't mean it's intentional!  Why would someone pay
so much money knowingly for a wrong choice?  Chances are, they feel
that it just might be the right choice, but won't find out until
they're trying it out.  It's called LIVE AND LEARN, right? How many
of us have gone through endurance training and riding without ever
having made a single mistake?  What about spending hours and weeks of
researching the new saddle you bought just knowing it was the RIGHT
one, just to find out that it makes your horse's back a bit sore?  I
really believe that most folks expend a lot of time and energy before
making any decision regarding their horse, whether it's a change of
tack, feed, hoofwear, boarding, etc.  - a tribute to most folks in
this sport.

>> Also remember that there are people all over the endurance
>>community who have pushed their horses too hard unknowingly -
whether they were shod, unshod, Arab, mule, etc.  That is how people
learn, and trust me, they do learn when they make mistakes like that.

>Oh yes, but isn't it better to learn without putting the animal at
>risk?  There is so much less about metabolics that is understood as
>compared to the equine foot. There is so little useful information
to be able to tell what's going on internally with a horse and the
"fixes" sometimes aren't well understood either. With the hoof it's
pretty easy: get (or be) a good farrier, provide the appropriate
protection.

Well, you're talking about Utopia here... an ideal world where we all
co-exist with our equine friends, never to have made a wrong choice
or decision with regards to anything having to do with them.  This is
the real world, where well-intending people might make a mistake or
two and learn much from it, who are supported by others who recognize
they are merely human and acting in such a way where they are
progressing steadily.  My God, talk like this only isolates people
and drives them away from this group, knowing there is no way for
them to realistically live up to levels of such perfection that the
other members seem to enjoy....

>> We all know when we push our horse too hard...
>
>I don't think some people do.

Well, you would hope they would, but if they really don't seem to
understand, perhaps a kind soul at that ride will take a moment to
educate him/her when that happens, so that they can benefit from the
learning experience that it is.  Merely being critical of the foibles
of the less experienced doesn't accomplish anything... and taking a
moment to talk with that person and share your experience in a kind
and compassionate manner might make all the difference in the world,
both to that person, and any other person they would come into
contact with from that point out.

>Oh Tracey, you were doing so well in maintaining your helpful,
>dettached tone until this last paragraph. I think I've presented
some real questions that need to be answered, and not necessarily by
you.

>Deanna (Ohio)

Again, forgive me for losing myself with my "tone", as I am only
human.  At the time I wrote that, you had in fact, NOT presented any
detailed questions - something have now successfully done with your
response to mine.  If I don't have concrete questions or concepts to
work with, I would be criticized for dabbling in the vague, right?  I
felt compelled to answer, as you had addressed this to me - along
with another.  I still don't have all the answers, but am learning
new things one day at a time.  Hopefully we all are....

Tracey Ritter
Portland, OR
--
Tracey Ritter, tracey_ritter@yahoo.com on 11/29/2001