Barefoot issues-kind of long

Vicky Smith twh@voyager.net
  I love Ridecamp for it's input on everything from saddle fit to hoof
care. As a professional farrier of nearly 20 years (gosh I'm how old?),
I've seen a lot of folks unwittingly abuse their horses feet. I ride with
the Michigan Trail Riders Associaton on their organized Shore-to-Shore
(236 miles)at least twice per year. I lot of people arrive with no hoof
protection for their horses. They usually say something like "I NEVER use
shoes at home and I ride ALL of the time." Well, after riding two or three
days on 20-30 miles of gravel roads, rocky trail and sand each day makes
for some pretty sore ponies. A horse can only grow x amount of hoof in a
given time period and if he wears if down faster than it grows;a lame
horse insues. Luckily I'm not the only farrier on these rides because
there is a lot of shoeing going on in camp. I'll call it a "working
vacation" ;-)
  I tried the barefoot thing with my critters this year and have developed
a love/hate relationship with EasyBoots. Love 'em when they stay one; hate
'em when I loose one. Tried the Comp Shoe and Equithane Super Fast. Both
were no goes for long multiple day rides. So here is how I manage my
group- barefoot whenever possible, Easyboots on horses that can leave them
on during rides involving rocks or gravel, and shoes/pads when nothing
else is practical. I may try Swiss Horse Boots as they were recommended by
the Dr. that stitched me up in E.R. after shoeing accident.
  Vicky Smith
"Common Sense isn't really very common"