Barefoot horses and naked riders

I have to tell you all that this barefoot horse thread for some reason
reminds me of another thread from the about.com horse forum I used to
follow. An enthusiast of the clothes-less way of being (a nudist) posted
there wondering if anyone knew where she could ride naked. There were a
flood of replies, most of them saying things like "why would you want to?"
and "do you realize that dirt and crud could work into your most intimate
crevices?" A few mentioned that riding attire was designed for very specific
reasons. Some folks got some good laughs imagining the saddle sores. A few
contributors mentioned some practical comfort considerations for the upper
body.

The nudist was very polite and good natured about the information presented.
She knew her choices were not mainstream.

A point that needs to be made is that the clothing optional choice of hers
in no way had potential to harm the horse. The horse was not impacted by her
decision to go au naturel. The nudist was a harmless eccentric.

Can the same be said about the barefoot endurance enthusiasts? People, shoes
aren't the only form of hoof protection out there. How can those of you who
advocate barefoot endurance riding be so darned sure you're not harming your
horse by not providing hoof protection? Your observations? I've seen a few
riders who are oblivious to their horse's condition and it's just sad. How
about some clinical proof?

Deanna (Ohio)