Re: Silver State Ride Results

Silver State 50 Ride Result Status:

Well, in the spirit of hunting down what REALLY happened, I wrote to
the vet who evaluated her horse, Dr. Barney Fleming, and have asked
for his professional assessment based upon the controversy at hand.
While I am a barefoot endurance advocate, it is more important to me
that the correct and accurate information about how a person's
barefoot horse performs at a gruelling ride be shared so that others
can LEARN from their successes and *mistakes*, not REPEAT THEM!!!
Trying to pass off a ride with glowing results when in fact the horse
was barely sound (grade 2 lameness) at the finish doesn't seem like a
big success story to me.  That person should have, from the very
beginning, come out and said, "You know what?  I shouldn't have tried
that other ride back to back like that, because it was just too tough
for him to do after having completed the Sunland 50 just the weekend
before.".  Now THAT is information we can work with.  Going on and on
about how well your horse did over horrible terrain - when in fact
perhaps that really wasn't the case - really perpetuates
misinformation and gives folks the impression that they can go out
and condition their horse like that, making room for all sorts of
needless injuries.

If you want to condition your horse to do that ride barefoot, and you
condition all year on that trail, little by little, and your horse
demonstrates after many months that he can handle the terrain with no
problem, then that's probably a good place to start.  But doing 50s
back to back on successive weekends - especially of the type of
terrain that these two were - is lacking in common sense and rider
objectivity.  That's something to learn from, alright... what NOT to
do!

Oy,Vey!  It is too bad that this has to come out, but I must agree
that the lameness pulls aren't limited to unshod horses... there are
plenty of lameness pulls on shod horses as well.  And true, the
experience that Robyn had should NOT be considered a "One Rat Study"
(I liked that one!).  Let's keep some common sense at hand, and we'll
see what the doc has to say when he gets back to me.  I'll post what
he says so that the group can see what came from the horse's mouth!

Kindest Regards,

Tracey Ritter (I'm having an Advil moment!)
Portland, OR (where, once you think it can't possibly rain any more,
it DOES!)

--
Tracey Ritter, tracey_ritter@yahoo.com on 11/28/2001