Re: RC: re: barefoot

Interesting discussion.  I don't post much due to time and pc problems
BUT... the issue of shoes is important.  I don't have any fancy
research but have been going 'barefoot' for some time.  Granted don't
live where there are rocks and nasty projections coming out of the
ground, but many horses do NOT have to have those iron things on their
hooves.  Even placing shoes on can make a horse lame.  I know as it
happened to me and since then have not shoed.  BUT the rider does need
more than minimal knowledge to get by without shoes.  I use the rasp a
lot. It also seems to take me a year to get good hooves on a newly
bought horse.  That is how long it takes for the hoof to grow.  One
can't just suddenly stop using shoes and then compete barefoot. It
takes a lONG time for the frog to toughen up.  Several years ago
someone told me she never cuts on the sole or frog.  I only trim loose
pieces off the frog to avoid a bigger tear.  BUT I am not doing a 50
miler every 3 weeeks either.  A horse with cardiovascular conditioning
can't necessarily do the same rides barefoot as the hoof also has to be
conditioned.  When one is starting a new horse is the best time to
start barefoot. I RARELY trim the heel and mostly trim/rasp the toe and
just tidy up the rest.  I do not have the time and money to compete
monthly.  BUT for those starting out, shoes ARE NOT necessary.  How the
hoof responds will tell the most.  BUT I NEVER have ANYONE do my
triming unless I KNOW for sure the horse will not be doing lots of
endurance.  If the hoof wall is thin, ie like many thoroughbreds then
more protection may be needed but shoes does cause damage to the hoof
wall.  The growth rate of the hoof wall makes a big difference.  BUT I
do not TRIM short but instead do little filings to keep them smooth.
It is not difficult to learn to do basic trimming but as with all
things, common sense much prevail. AND I will probably not go rides
where the shoes are absolutely required.  Wonder how they shoe those
war horses in Afghanistan???? With some bad luck I may find out first
hand.
JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION!!!  Mary Ann Spencer