Weaving, limping, panting , gasping

What a day! What a sport! Such posts!   Carla, you are bad--go to your room. I owned a horse , actually two (fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me) who were weavers. They weaved with joy , with aplomb, with verve, with sweating energy and intensity, like Vegas Show girls. It's enough to make you sell. Now my neighbor has a pony who is foundering....again...and he weaves like that Titanic in the ocean, bobing back and forth,ready to go keel over and sink. Slowly, front and back legs at the same time...from side to painful side. Weaving lame horse--- It is a very very different appearance.Its enough to make you sick!  Anyone who is mean and wicked to the volunteers, should be made to perform community service at the next ride. Something like painting the numbers on 100 hostile horses wheeling butts. And then some.  If a horse is panting, and  then they ride like hell...well, get the IV bags out, that's what I learned. The P&R person who stuck to the rules, may have saved them that little bit of cost spending and misery.  Now when I took training as a critical care nurse, back in the days of old, when machines and computers were new and not to be trusted, I was taught this adage..."Treat the patient--not the machine".  Funny I still remember that a couple of years later..uhum.   If the heart rate monitor reads 200--gee, that's funny, I forgot to use gel. I know of a few people who pulled from rides for the very same reason. Did anyone take a manual pulse or use a stethoscope? Uh--no.  If the horse is panting...not being a dog...it is usually noticeable to the human eye.   It means something to think about.  As far as I know, any ride management, be it NATRC or Endurance, does not say,  "P&R's to be read by the rider with their new Christmas HR monitor , or that of their friends"--which incidentally can read two different numbers on the same horse--try that trick at home with friends!  Management usually has personnel on hand to do the reading, and if someone doesn't like a certain reading, bring it to management s attention, in a nice way.  (Like if you get Carla to read yours--"uh, excuse me, there is a demented person here with the metal thingies in her nose, and she keeps calling my white horse , blackie")      Beth Glover