P&R vet chek treatment

margie@ffww.com
> The Pulse and Respiration was
> set at> 60 with no inversion.

I guess it would be better if a vet answered, but I will say that as a
pulse taker I never check for inversion.  I remember back in about 87,88
when they would hold a horse for being inverted, but I believe since then
they've decided panting is an efficient cooling method and it isn't
penalized.  I remember asking a vet how to tell the difference in panting
and a horse who is truly "inverted".  He said, a panting horse is relaxed
and unconcerned. An inverted horse is focusing on drawing his next
breath. There's no comparison.  In a late season ride with horses with
shaggy coats I would think panting would be more efficient means of
cooling than sweating.  I would hope that I wouldn't have been rude, but
I'd have been doing my darndest to avoid you at the vet check.  I've
noticed the competitive trail people seem to still hold onto those ideas,
but considering that they walk the last 2 miles into a vet check and
present at 40 I don't think they've had to bother learning that it's no
big deal.

Angie
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.