Re: RC: P&R vet check treatment

Angie,
Most of the CTR associations that I'm aware of no longer score respiration
either.  We used to; worked great for me when I started my gelding since he'd
be so busy looking around in the P/R area that he'd forget to breathe.  but
after having horses pulled for high respiration when they were just panting
to cool off, not in any distress, we changed that rule because it was
penalizing horses unnecessarily.
I do agree with you that if I was at an endurance ride and knew that someone
was going to be looking for respiration I'd try to avoid them as well,
especially if Akela was shaggy.  It's normal for him to invert then, not a
sign of distress, but just the way he is.  At the IAHA CTR Nationals one year
they were doing a safety check at the top of a hill.  Nearing 80 degrees and
in October, so all the horses had high respirations.  The vet mentioned the
inversion, but since the pulse was fine and the horse looked good and I knew
that that was normal he didn't make a big issue of it.
But then our association rarely is walking the last 2 miles either.
Mickie