diatomaceous earth

Average particle size alone of diatomaceous earth makes it an inhalation
hazard.  It probably ranks as worse than talcum powder or fine sawdust.
Label precautions (on the product from Necessary Trading Co.) state
explicitly to avoid breathing it and getting it in your eyes.

What is the first thing a horse does with feed?  Sniff.  I suggest to avoid
top-dressing feed with DE, to decrease chance of inhalation.  In addition,
use the proper kind of DE; that sold for feeding to animals or for garden
use as insect repellent is "not a burned or calcined product and differs
from filter grade diatomaceous earth".  I wonder what the difference is.
This label says "fresh water variety--untreated; finely ground".

I use this DE in my (organic) garden to repel insects and bugs.  It seems to
work there if I keep up with applying it after a rain, but it is touted as
efficaceous in this way against creatures with chitinous exoskeletons only.
The purported mechanism of action is that it gets in the cracks of their
joints, so that they cannot articulate or move, like gravel in gears.  The
creatures then starve to death because they can't get to food.  I don't see
how it could bother internal parasites that don't have exoskeletons enough
to prevent their life cycle and parasitism.  Garden slugs have been seen
sliming right over piles of it to get to lettuce.

Bridget Brickson