Re: RC: GPS Units

At 01:07 PM 11/15/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Stan Moyer stan.moyer@twa.com
>I am looking for some advise on hand held GPS units, key features to look
>for, ease of use, price, etc.
>Karen, I know you mentioned using GPS on the XP rides, any ideas???

Hi Stan:  The December issue of Endurance News will have an article on
GPS's, including a comparison chart on model features, prices (and links to
where to get the best prices on them).  In the following months, there'll
be an article on how to mark a trail with a GPS, make maps/what kind of
software to use, etc.

>We formed a trail maintence group at Clinton Lake, KS and the folks from
>the Corp of Engineers walked all the trails (3) with a GPS and made us a
>large aeriel map with all the waypoints that need work. It is the neatest
>map I have even seen and very acurate.

That's great! :+)

>This is the way to make ride maps.

Definitely.  There are a lot of us converts out there riding with GPS's --
they are really great for lots of reasons.  Wonderful training aids and
really helpful if you do get lost or take a wrong turn -- you can follow
your tracks back and get un-lost :+).

Tell me more about what you want to do with your GPS, and I can recommend
models.  What price range are you looking at? ($150 to $500+).  Do you want
to be able to do elevation profiling?  Do you want an off-course alarm?
External antenna?  There are lots of different features to choose from --
and I know a lot of people don't really know what features they are going
to need ahead of time.  If I were to get a new model now, it would be
either an eTrex Vista or a GPSMAP76 (Garmin units).

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV