copper pipe?

I heard from a cowboy (yes, from Texas) named Boots... that, if your
mare is "mareish" put a copper pipe in her water bucket and she'll calm
right  down.
 Does this make any sense? Minerals? or what?
 I have a molly mule and she squirts at the pretty white arab gelding
everytime she passes by his stall. So. naturally, I put a copper pipe in
her water bucket and now she's not squirting at him.???? I don't know
what to think about this...any ideas out there?
Lynda