Mares vs Geldings

I consider this a prime example of how you have to be careful judging the
results of polls.  To read these polls you'd think everyone preferred
mares...then go to a ride and you'll see mostly geldings.  I think the
people who prefer mares feel on the defensive and are quick to post why
they like them, but enough is enough. I can't take any more posts
insinuating mares are superior without defending my boys.

My first 2 mounts were mares.  Thank goodness I got that over with before
I found out how great geldings are!  I'd have hated to have had geldings
first, then had to live through those mares.

When I was 15 years old and easily embarassed I had a mare who liked to
curl her tail up over her back like a Spitz and walk squatty down the
road squirting a bit of pee every step.  What a huzzy.  Can you imagine
how embarassing when both your riding pals were male?  I got so mad I
tied a knot in her tail and ran a hay string from it up to the girth to
hold it down, so she walked squatty down the road with her tail bowed out
behind her.  My first pony was a mare.  I used to let her sniff noses
with other ponies just to hear her scream bloody murder and strike out
with a front foot.  Great entertainment for a 12 year old.  I could also
make her lash out with a hind foot by resting my hand on her loin area.

I agree that a day with a mare is much like hanging out with "the girls".
 Unfortunately, I despise hanging out with girls...except for endurance
females which I liken to a mare who has something wrong with her and
doesn't cycle...in other words, mentally balanced >g<.  I've never had a
really close friend who was female until I started endurance.  I prefer
the company of men. Non-endurance women always seem to be looking for a
reason to be mad or offended.  Mares seem the same to me.  Fortunately,
non-endurance women who I offend don't kick the crap out of me for doing
it.

As far as testimonials to brains and self preservation, etc...  I was
once riding Kaboot with a kid on my old Arab gelding, Isaiah.  We came to
a bog formed by a logger cutting down a large tree.  The trunk lay on the
low side of the logging road and soft mud had built up on the high side
of it.  The trunk was about 1/4 submerged.  Isaiah looked it over, then
suddenly just hopped up on the tree trunk and walked that log right
across the bog.  Kaboot was just 5 and very green, but he hopped right up
behind him and crossed it too.  Talk about a Kodak moment!  Kaboot
usually drinks withing the first 15 miles.  He will grab grass that early
too...and on top of all that...no squealing, no kicking, no hormones. I
got my torn ACL when my mare was in heat and heard a stallion call
suddenly out of nowhere decided to rear over backwards.  Guess she
experienced a hormone surge or something.

 I will give mares one area where they can claim superiority though.
They sure are able to make some intimidating faces!

I am glad some of you want mares, since we need them around to eventually
produce more geldings.  :-)

Angie
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.