Politesse on the trail

Kathy wrote:

> > As she passed us we realized that she was a 50 miler and not
> > just any 50 miler she was in first place with other 50 milers
> > not far behind her. This person cared more about the fact
> > that our horses needed to drink than about the fact that she
> > was losing time to those that were trying to catch her and
> > pass her.

On first 30 I ever did (Gold Country) my riding partner and I
left the penultimate VC and started down a steep, narrow section
of trail leading our horses on foot. We were about half way down
when the first place 50 miler came up behind us (funnily enough,
moving a lot quicker than we were <g>). I mumbled something about
"sorry, we'll try and get out of your way as soon as possible" and
the rider said something like "no worries - just whenever it's a
good place". She didn't crowd us, just ambled along behind until
we were able to squeeze off to the side and let her pass.

The rider was Vicki Testa, and like Judy Etheridge in the post
above, she went on to win the ride.

As an impressionable newbie <grin>, I never forgot this example of
calm, polite trail manners.

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@foothill.net
Repotted english person in Garden Valley (Sierra Foothills), CA