Re: RC: Bosal questions

on 11/9/01 8:50 AM, guest@endurance.net at guest@endurance.net wrote:

> I ride Mystery out on the trail in a rope halter/lead quite often as he is
> very well behaved.  I'm thinking about getting a bosal with horsehair
> reins just for something different, something pretty but I don't know
> anything about them.
>
> Are they equated to hackamores?  Are they harsh?  Are they close to the
> same as using the rope halter/lead?  What do people like/dislike about
> them?

It isn't like a mechanical hack at all. Probably closer to the halter. You
are working off nerves in the face. Western Horseman and Equus had great
articles this year on the bosal. I started my mares in them, and have
switched from rope halter to bosal to snaffle on them and they do fine. Two
handed steering. Traditionally it is a transition from a snaffle to a curb
bit. They go to a bosal for a couple of years, then into the bridle. I don't
know that I would do endurance in them. I'd imagine you have really skinned
their noses up, and covering it with wrap kind of defeats the purpose. A
couple hours trail ride is fine, but more than that and your horse is going
to have a sore nose. It has small bumps right on the facial nerves that will
rub over time. Many western trainers put Vaseline on noses to help glide
things along.
Tiffany