Re: Unbroke 5 year old Arab to old to break?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tiffany D'Virgilio" <dvirgilio@mindspring.com>

> on 11/6/01 4:25 PM, guest@endurance.net at guest@endurance.net wrote:
>
> > S. Taylor staylor@networksplus.net
> > I am thinking about buying a 5 1/2 year old arab mare that is halter
> > broke, lunges, etc. but has never been saddled/bridled.  Is an arab this
> > age too old to break to ride?
> >
> No Way!!!! You are probably lucky that were never sat on until now or
ruined
> young. Their bones and muscles are all mature and were not abused young. I
> started both mine at age 6. Both super easy to break and train, mentally
> ready for the job, and never have had a lame day since.
> Tiffany

Yep, but the buyer still needs to keep in mind a long-term conditioning
program, even though this horse is
"grown", it will take up to two years for the bones to react and strengthen
to conditioning.....along with backing and riding, I would take this horse
on long, long walks, being ponied and taken out in the world.  That is just
as important, maybe more, than actual riding!
Karen