Re: Where to "Vet", Terms of Sale

Linda,

Hello... sounds like you've had a bit to contend with!  Most folks I
know who have purchased an out-of-area horse have first found out who
the horse's vet is, and then finds any other vet in the area to go
out and do a pre-purchase exam on their behalf.  Delaware isn't all
that far from Virginia, and I would insist that she have the vet of
her choice come to where the horse is to do the exam before
proceeding forward with any of the other terms of sale.  Sounds like
you'd have too much of a case of Your-Word-Against-Hers type of thing
should he arrive lame, dehydrated, etc., and is just asking for
trouble that way.  I'd say keep it simple, and if she wants to buy
the horse, she'll be able to find a competent vet in the area who
would be happy to do a pre-purchase exam on him - on her behalf.

I'm looking forward to what the others have to say about this...
we're looking at getting a horse from Illinois (we're in Oregon), and
will have to find a vet to do the same thing for us.  For those who
have had a lot more experience in buying/selling out-of-area horses,
let us know what other things should be taken into consideration.

Kindest Regards,

Tracey Ritter
Portland, OR  (soon to be Camas, WA)

"She of course wants her own vet to pronounce him
sound, which I understand, and the sale won't be complete until that
process is finished. She wants to transport him to her home and have
him vetted there...."