Fwd: sidebones

This is a forwarded message
From: Roger Rittenhouse <roger@vmaxept.com>
To: heart@magiclink.com
Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2001, 6:36:49 PM
Subject: sidebones

Hello  ,
SURE HAVE..  I dont have the time now - getting ready for the AERC
BOD meeting this weekend and trying to get some last minute business
stuff done ..
 Its a real bad thing  not curable  but CAN be managed.
 Caused by incorrect balanced  shoeing  . normally low heel and long toe
  over many years .. it is the calcification of the back end of the
  coffin bone  sort of like wings that flareup along the back side at
  the qtr bars and come up above the corrnet band.
  it hurts  to turn and un-even ground makes them show lame

  I can give you a full report how we manage it.
  I bought a 6 yr old from a shoer  who had him from birth - did a
  poor or no shoeing job fro 6 yrs  - i bought him with no vet check
  and within one month of conditioning he was lame .. many trips to
  the Univ of Tenn   proved there was no help. the vets wrote him off
  as pasture lame...

  good shoeing by Jaye Perry and my shoer have controlled the problem
  .. we have done about 1000 miles of 50 milers with a few 25 milers.

  I have to ride him very balanced   .. I have been quite lucky that I
  am doing so well with him ..

  problem is this causes the horse to lay back on his rear then you
  get hock problems also.

  in the long run it will stop the horse from doing the sport.  no
  drug or supplements fix it  -

  sorry for the downer   but from one who is living with it I sure
  have done the research.  -- and getting down the trail

--
 Roger Rittenhouse                         mailto:roger@vmaxept.com

--
Best regards,